Mar 19, 2020
To the Northrop Community —
As we continue to monitor the immense impact COVID-19 is having worldwide, and in response to recommendations by the state of Minnesota and the University of Minnesota to protect our students, staff, patrons, and visitors, Northrop has temporarily closed its building to the public and made additional changes. These difficult decisions are in addition to last week’s announcement that Northrop has canceled all events through Apr 30, which has since been extended by the University to include all events through the end of Spring semester, May 13.
Among the latest updates:
- Northrop’s building is closed until further notice.
- Surdyk's Café within Northrop is also closed until further notice; however please consider helping this local business by utilizing their Surdyk’s at Home meal-delivery service.
- Walk-up service at the Northrop Box Office is closed until further notice.
- The Northrop Box Office is still available to assist you by calling 612-625-5306 and leaving a message, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org All messages are being monitored and returned Mon-Fri, 10:00 am-5:00 pm.
- Ticket holders to performances that have been canceled have three options and can contact the Box Office by Apr 19 to make their choice:
- All Northrop staff are working remotely but continue to monitor emails and voice messages to quickly respond to inquiries.
- Non-ticketing questions or concerns can continue to be directed to email@example.com.
Please join us in supporting today’s Minnesota Virtual Arts Advocacy Day and also request that your members of Congress include $4 billion in its COVID-19 relief funding package—to be distributed through the National Endowment for the Arts—to help offset the losses of the nonprofit arts industry already estimated at $3.2 billion today. This will help to ensure artists, entrepreneurs, and small businesses in the creative economy can utilize business interruption relief.
Thank you for your partnership and patience as we work together to keep our community healthy. Please follow our latest updates on our website as they develop. We appreciate your concern and patience and look forward to welcoming you back to Northrop as soon as possible.
From all of us at Northrop, we send best wishes for good health to you and your families.
To the Northrop Community,
We at Northrop and the University of Minnesota have been closely monitoring the development of COVID-19. The health and safety of our students, patrons, artists, partners, faculty, and staff are our top priority. In that spirit, and with the University following the recommendation of the state of Minnesota, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all events at Northrop through Apr 30. As a performing arts institution with the mission of bringing performing arts and educational experiences to our community, we do not make this decision lightly but we know that this is the right path forward for all of us. All major venues at the University, systemwide, are closed to the public, and events will be canceled, rescheduled, or moved online where possible. We are working closely with public health officials and will regularly assess the ongoing need for these restrictions.
Performance cancellations are having a profound effect on the financial health of performing arts institutions and artists world-wide. While Northrop is working with our artists to schedule another performance in the future, at this time we are offering three options for ticket-holders of canceled performances — tax-deductible donation, exchange for a gift certificate, or full refund. Ticket holders have been informed but those with additional questions can contact the Northrop Box Office at 612-624-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
During this difficult time, we are so proud to be part of the University of Minnesota and the Twin Cities community. The arts are a source of inspiration, joy, and healing. Thank you for your partnership and patience as we work together to keep our community healthy. Stay tuned for more details and updates about events at the University of Minnesota. We are in this together and I look forward to welcoming you back to Northrop very soon.
Director of Northrop