So you think you can dance? In anticipation of Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker/Rosas’ performance at Walker Art Center, Oct. 15-17, Northrop and Walker Art Center are asking you to step up and record your own performance of Rosas danst Rosas for a #ReRosasMN video submission contest!
Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker’s seminal works, Rosas danst Rosas (1983), is a mechanical, sensual, and compellingly emotional choreography that established her reputation as an artist in the post-modernist movement. Believe it or not, the simplicity of the movements makes this work accessible and can be reproduced by practically anyone, even Beyoncé. Keersmaeker says all you need is a chair!
Beyoncé, or as many know her as Queen Bey, received a little hoo-ha surrounding the reproduction of a Rosas danst Rosas for her music video “Countdown”, but Keersmaeker took all of the negative publicity and turned it into a positive creative effort. That’s where you come in. Re:Rosas! The fABULEUS Rosas Remix Project started at the request of Keersmaeker for anyone and everyone to recreate Rosas danst Rosas.
Keersmaeker, in a video message posted on her website, said, “You can change the order of the movements, make your own movements… Have fun and I’m a very curious to see the result!” There have been over 1500 reproductions of her dance from over 30 different countries, each with their own individuality and creativity expressed.
So, how do you get started? You can watch the step-by-step tutorial that breaks down the movements, structure, and full choreography. The contest starts today and run through the night of October 9th. Post your completed video through Vine or YouTube and tweet it with the hashtag #ReRosasMN. The submissions with the most retweets have a chance to win a grand prize package. The package includes:
- 4 tickets to Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker (opening night)
- 2 tickets to a 2014-15 Walker Performing Arts Season event
- 10 tickets to a 2014-15 Northrop Dance Season event
- 4 gallery passes to Walker Art Center
If you aren’t too psyched about debuting your own performance of Rosas danst Rosas, you can still participate in #ReRosasMN by retweeting a video that has been submitted to the contest. Everyone who retweets a submission will be entered in a drawing for:
- 2 tickets to Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker (opening night)
- 4 drinks while you enjoy the performance
The fine print:
1. Contest open to legal residents of the United States of America.
2. All videos submitted must be original work.
3. All videos submitted must be received between 12 a.m. September 10, 2014 and 11:59 p.m. October 9, 2014.
4. You agree that it is your sole responsibility to obtain all permissions necessary for the grant of rights contained in full contest ReRosaMN Rules.
All video submissions can be viewed here as we receive them. Good Luck!