Experience beloved community and honor the enduring legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as we celebrate the 60th anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs & Freedom.
Join us for a commemorative procession and multidisciplinary concert curated by G. Phillip Shoultz III, associate artistic director of VocalEssence. Dynamic artists will activate memories of the Civil Rights era, inspiring each of us to stand in solidarity as we renew our commitment to do the work required to secure liberty and justice for all. Featuring Jovonta Patton, Eshay Brantley, Thomasina Petrus, Joe Davis & The Poetic Diaspora, Threads Dance Project, and members of the Twin Cities Choral Consortium.
Schedule of Events:
5:00 pm: Explore resource tables featuring groups from the community and University in Northrop lobby and enjoy food/drink from Northrop’s Bistro.
5:30 pm: Commemorative procession leaves Coffman Union Plaza, moves up Northrop Mall, and concludes at the outdoor stage in front of Northrop’s steps. There, a State of Minnesota proclamation will be read and tribute remarks will be delivered by:
- Rev. Dr. DeWayne Davis, Plymouth Congregational Church
- Honorable Peggy Flanagan, Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota
- Honorable Jacob Frey, Mayor of Minneapolis
- Phillip Shoultz, Associate Artistic Director of VocalEssence
- Additional speakers and musicians possible
6:00 pm: Seating for concert, continue to explore local resource tables
6:30 pm: Let Freedom Ring concert
The concert is free and open to the public. Register for general admission tickets.
Know Before You Go
- Seating: General Admission
- Theater Doors Open: 6:00 pm
- Performance Begins: 6:30 pm
- Accessibility: This event will be captioned, with other accessibility services available upon request.
- Detailed Event Information: Find Your Event Info link on your order confirmation or check your email within 48 hours for detailed information from Northrop, U of M.
If you need assistance with your tickets, please call 612-624-2345, email email@example.com.
We extend our gratitude to all who have supported this event:
Artistic Production Partners
Individual Sponsors ($1,000 and above)
Robert H Bruininks & Susan A Hagstrum
John Coleman & Laura Leitch
Louis & Alissa Clark
Kim & Steph Miller